Saturday, April 13, 2013

Homeschooling - What I know so far

September 2012 I officially became a homeschool mom. WOW! It's been an upward learning curve and he's only 5! I get a lot of questions about our decision to keep AJ home from traditional school. This week I'll review the Challenges, Blessings, How Our Family Does School and FAQ about homeschooling.

I am FAR from being an expert, but if you’re considering homeschooling, this is what I know (so far):

THE CHALLENGES

It’s a BIG choice
I’ve never met a homeschooler who didn’t, at least once, doubt their decision. I don’t believe that anyone enters into this lifestyle casually.

I always wonder if AJ and Si will look back years from now and hate me for not having had the experience of regular school. I wonder if I’m doing everything ‘right’. I wonder if they’re learning too much, too little, too fast, too slow. I wonder if they have enough play time, friend time, music time, exposure to sports, time reading, etc… I wonder, I hope, I fret, I pray, I pray, I pray…..

You are everything
Homeschooling is not just learning it’s schooling, and school includes Math, Science, English, History, Music, Art, Drama, Physical Education, Home Ec, Health Education, Social Interaction, Religious Education (if applicable), etc.

Some days I feel overwhelmed by the AMOUNT of ‘stuff’ I need to include in my day. Not only do I have to provide schooling for my children, I have to mind the house, myself and my husband! And my kids are only 3 and 5!!!! Homeschooling can be is overwhelming. Thankfully:

"My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness. So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me." 2Corinthians 12:9
 
Everyone has an opinion
I get everything from ‘WOW that is awesome!’ to ‘Oh, really?’. Everyone has an opinion about whether homeschooling is the right path for your family.

It’s expensive
In relation to private schools that can cost anywhere from $7,000 - $20,000 a year, homeschooling is less expensive. But, if you consider that sending your child to public school is ‘free’, homeschooling can cost a lot!

Curriculum costs anywhere from $300 - $1,000
Homeschool co-ops can cost money
Sports
Art/Music class
Field trips
Child care
Loss of income for the stay-at-home parent


THE BLESSINGS
Tune in tomorrow when I review the overwhelming Blessings of Homeschool.

No comments:

Post a Comment