Sunday, May 20, 2012

Parent-Child Date Night

I read an article last year by Reb Bradley who related child rearing to a tree. He said, essentially, that you can tie apples onto a tree but it doesn’t make it an apple tree. Instead "Luscious fruit will be born from what we put into our children- not from what we tie onto them. As a matter of fact, in no time, the fruit that we put onto our children will rot and fall off.”

I keep this quote in mind daily. I am reminded that the relationship I have with my child is important. I must go after his/her heart in order to impact his/her life and life choices.

It is so easy for me to get sidetracked with day to day living. I am constantly immersed in caring for and watching over my children.

"AJ, don’t put that pillow over your sister’s face.”

"Si, don’t ride your Winnie the Pooh train over your brother.”

“Get your hands out of the toilet!” “Don’t touch the stove!”

My words are usually aimed at the body, and not necessarily intended for the heart.

For that reason, Matt and I find it important to set time aside with each child to really connect. Every week we have date night with a child. Matt takes one and I take the other and then the next week we switch. We are not always consistent, but we aim to get alone time with each child at least once a month.

When Si was little I would stay at home with her. I would give her a bath so she could enjoy having the whole tub to herself (without her brother) and I would sit on the floor next to the tub and talk and play with her. Now we go to the park and blow bubbles or enjoy an M&M ice cream together.

Matt likes to take AJ downtown to look at boats and watch the train. Lately I have been taking AJ to go bowling or ice skating, things he cannot experience with a two year old sister in tow.

Where we go isn't as important as what we do. I don’t use my cell phone. I focus on my child and conversation with them. Last week AJ and I went ice skating and then sat and watched the Zamboni clean the ice. We didn’t talk that much, but we were together and he knew that I was there with him, for him and that I love him.

My children are so precious, and SOOO much work. There are many nights that I long for bed time so that I can have some peace and rest. It is so nice to have a night dedicated to getting out of the daily routine and connecting with the heart of my two year-old and four year-old balls of energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment