Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Learning About the USA

Memorizing the 50 States
Being a traveller at heart, it is important to me that my children understand the world, and seek to explore it. I've started by teaching my son about the USA and once we've completed the USA, I plan to move on to Canada (my home country) and then on to the rest of the world.



I started by posting a map of the USA in a learning corner. Next, was an attempt to teach him, and me, all 50 states. Thankfully, I stumbled upon the 50 States that Rhyme Song:


This was a GREAT, easy tool that helped AJ and I learn our states. We went stanza by stanza and in about a week we had it memorized. Now, we go over it about once a week so that he doesn't forget it. When we review it, we usually sing it together, very loud, and dance around. Si joins in and now she is learning her states too!

Here are the lyrics to help you learn it as well:

Alabama and Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas
California, Colorado and Connecticut and more
Delaware, Florida Georgia and Hawaii, Idaho
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, still 35 to go

Kansas and Kentucky
Louisiana, Maine
Maryland, Massachusetts and there's good old Michigan
Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri and Montana
Then Nebraska's 27, number 28's Nevada

Next, New Hampshire and New Jersey
And way down New Mexico
There's New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio...
Oklahoma, Oregon
Pennsylvania, now let's see
Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee

Texas and there's Utah
Vermont, I'm almost through
Virginia and there's Washington
And West Virginia, too
Could Wisconsin be the last one?
Or is that 49?
No, Wyoming is the last state
In the 50 states that rhyme!

No comments:

Post a Comment