Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Simply Elaborate Cash Register

I have wanted to make a cash register for the kids for a long time. Around Christmas time,  I saved a couple of boxes to use for this project, but it never happened.

Yesterday, I planned on playing store with the kids so I decided to pull out one of the boxes and use it for the money. I decided NOT to decorate it. After all, they're kids, they can use their imaginations, right? I just wanted a simple box for a simple cash register!

Then I decided that I should AT LEAST put buttons on the register. And, you can't put buttons over a logo, so I decided to cover the top with blank paper to make it look fresh and clean.

For the keys, I cut up a sponge that I bought from the dollar store. (This picture shows the 'big' keys. After the box was complete I ended up pulling all the 'keys' off and cutting them width wise, because they stuck up too much and kept falling off).


Then  I decided that I had to have a screen, so I took another box, cut the lid off of it and slipped it into a slit I made in the first box.



Then I decided that it didn't look like a screen and I needed to make it look metallic... so, I wrapped the screen in aluminium foil.


Then, it was kind of floppy, so I reinforced it with a piece of cardboard and some tape.


There, I was done!

But.... as I was cleaning up the supplies, I noticed that the bottom of the box that I cut up for the screen would fit really well in the big box. So, I cut a rectangle in the big box just large enough for the tray to slide into.




Then I decided that money would flop around a lot in the tray, so I needed partitions (I used the scraps from all the box cutting and a lot of tape).


Then I stopped! (I had no choice, Si woke up).


It really was quite easy! The kids really enjoyed opening the drawer and pushing the buttons!

Supplies:
Two boxes
Sponge
Tape (lots of tape)
Paper (to cover the top of the box)
Glue (to glue the keys down and the paper down)
Aluminum foil
Scissors/knife for cutting
Play money

No comments:

Post a Comment