Saturday, April 14, 2012

Library Rules

My ideal library would have their children's section in a separate, soundproofed building, with shelves of reinforced steel and soft pillowly floors that the children could bounce around on without getting hurt.

If that is too much to ask, perhaps there could be a drive-thru library that senses when I'm coming, chooses a bunch of books my kids would LOVE, checks them all out and has them waiting for me at a convenient, drive up window so that all I have to do it put them in my car.

Unfortunately, these libraries do not exist and I'm forced to visit quiet, adult oriented libraries with two loud, busy children!

I went on hiatus from the library a couple of months ago when my children decided to run away from me, in opposite directions, through rows of books all the while screaming and laughing at the top of their lungs. Then, when I successfully scooped Si up under my arm she persisted in screaming, kicking and flailing, while her brother crawled across the floor after me screaming 'i don't want to leave' !

Needless to say, we didn't visit the library for a LONG time after that experience.

Finally, after reading the same books 100 times, I realized that it wasn't their fault we had a bad library experience, it was mine. I failed to set clear expectations for what was acceptable in a library. For all they knew the library was sound proofed and the shelves were made of reinforced steel!

So, I sat AJ and Si down and explained to them that running, yelling and climbing are not acceptable in a library. If they run, climb or yell, they will receive a punishment. Also, I explained that in a library we talk, walk and keep our feet on the floor.  Then, we loaded ourselves into the car and headed to the library. Before getting out I re-explained what I expected of them and what the consequences would be if they did not act appropriately.

After a few climbing and running experiences the kids realized that I was serious about the consequences and our experiences have been MUCH better.

Si still has a hard time keeping her voice low, but she is two, so i understand that a little bit of excitement won't hurt.

Now, we are happily visiting the library every couple of weeks and mama isn't reading the same Dr. Seuess book over and over and over again! :)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome.. You made me laugh with a visual of you running after your kids in the library. Sorry. It was quite funny to read. Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be even funnier if it wasn't true! Man... that was a rough day! I was leaving with Si under my arm and Aj crawled all the way after me screaming and crying! I got a lot of 'don't you know how to look after your kids' looks from people!

    ReplyDelete